Troy Custom Detectors is no longer manufacturing metal detectors. As a tribute to Troy Galloway, Graphique Du Jour is
hosting a copy of his original website for his achievment in designing and bringing to market a the Shadow line of detectors,
with features and performance previously unmatched. Graphique Du Jour Home
Shadow Research Center
Ground Balance Instructions
Hear are some tips you should follow:
On the beach and in highly trashy sites always use Fixed Ground Balance
and Beach DISC. After you become more familiar with the X5, then you may
find that normal DISC can be used in these conditions.
Manual Ground Balance Instructions:
1) Set the SENS control to 8.
2) Set the Mode switch to All-Metal.
3) Set the Select switch to Manual GB.
4) Hold the coil up in the air (steady) and adjust the Threshold
control for a
very low (slight) audio volume (this is very important).
5) Adjust the GB control fully clockwise.
6) Lower the search coil slowly to toward the ground (from 12 inches
to 1 inch).
You should hear an increase in audio volume as the coil is lowered to
7) Raise the search coil back up to 12 inches above the ground
and adjust the GB
control 1/2 turn counter-clockwise.
8) Repeat steps 6 & 7 until the audio tone disappears as you
lower the search
coil to the ground. (Note !!! this step is extremely IMPORTANT because
the soil at the location you are trying to Ground Balance does not contain
iron mineralization then it is impossible to manually ground balance the
detector properly and Fixed GB should always be used in this situation).
It is the same thing as trying to ground balance to air.
9) After the point is found where the audio tone disappears, then readjust
GB control clockwise slightly, until the audio tone is equal in volume
slowly lowering and raising the search coil 1 to 4 inches off the ground.
are now properly ground balanced to operate (search) in the All-Metal
but this is NOT the ground balance setting to be used for Discrimination
10) If you desire to search in the Discrimination Mode, then adjust
control 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise after steps 1 through 9 above have been
successfully completed. This is necessary to eliminate or greatly reduce
ground pick-up (noise).
11) Now, set the Mode switch to DISC and set the DISC control to
3.5 to 3.8. You are
now ready to search in the Discrimination Mode. If ground pick-up (noise)
appears (not iron trash signals) then adjust the GB slightly more clockwise.
For maximum depth, the SENS control can usually be increased from 8 to
8.5 or even 9 depending on the conditions at each location.